St Joseph’s is a Catholic co-educational primary school where the Franciscan values of Humility, Care and Respect permeate this community. St Joseph’s caters for students from Prep to Year 6. St Joseph’s is part of the Jubilee Catholic Parish and St Mary Magdalene Church is located on school site. Our school first opened on 24th January in 1938 with one class of 31 students. The Franciscan sisters were in residence in Bardon House and conducted classes in what was then the Parish Church, now used for Out of School Hours Care. Later that year, a benefactor donated a significant amount of money to the Parish for a new school. The original school building was constructed and in 1939 class commenced in that building.
The school has seen rapid growth over the years, with new classrooms being constructed in 1956, 1971, 2011, 2016 and 2017. In 2004, the original school building was demolished and the present administration block constructed – this contains the administration area, staff room, library, and the STAR Room (Students Teachers And Representatives – a collaborative working space). Later in 2011, with funding from the Federal Government, three more classrooms were added along with the Fr Ray Lyons Hall. After 70 years in residence in St Joseph’s Convent, Bardon (Bardon House), the Franciscan Sisters moved from the building and handed the residence back to the Parish. It is now occupied by the Verbum Dei Missionary Sisters. In 2016, a self-funded school construction project resulted in three new classrooms being built for our Senior Classes. This completed building was named the Jarlath Building in memory to one of our founding Franciscan sisters.
In 2017, construction to refurbish two classrooms in the Forrest Building will be completed by the end of Term 1. This project is funded by a Brisbane Catholic Education Grant and part school self-funded. It is anticipated that enrolment numbers at St Joseph’s, Bardon will be approximately 382 students from Prep to Year 6.